Thai Vietair

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Galee
udonmap.com

Thai Vietair

Post by Galee » January 5, 2024, 8:38 am

What are peoples experiences using Thai Vietair from Udon Thani reguarding reliability and luggage?

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: Thai Vietair

Post by Potamoi » January 5, 2024, 9:13 am

I have the same question. I'm booked on the 18th of this month so if no other replies, I'll share mine at that time.

I have a meeting on that side of town near BKK so I am particularly interested in on time arrival, getting through the airport quickly, gathering my checked bag, meeting a Grab, driving the ~25 min and showing up 1:40 after the estimated landing time.

Thai VietJet has what seems to be ideal timing for this case so I am outside my routine of using DMK and Nok. Post Covid the variety of flight choices to/from Bangkok has certainly been limited.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 5, 2024, 9:27 am

Used them several times, never a problem, I was a tad over carry on limit last trip, they just ignored the extra .6Kg without comment

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 5, 2024, 2:58 pm

Potamoi wrote:
January 5, 2024, 9:13 am
I have the same question. I'm booked on the 18th of this month so if no other replies, I'll share mine at that time.

I have a meeting on that side of town near BKK so I am particularly interested in on time arrival, getting through the airport quickly, gathering my checked bag, meeting a Grab, driving the ~25 min and showing up 1:40 after the estimated landing time.

Thai VietJet has what seems to be ideal timing for this case so I am outside my routine of using DMK and Nok. Post Covid the variety of flight choices to/from Bangkok has certainly been limited.
1:40 after landing time? Cutting it fine mate.
Given that you could taxi for about 10 minutes, transfer to terminal, wait on baggage, get to your taxi and drive 25 minutes. Good luck.
I have used them a couple of times, no complaints about delays but never had hold baggage.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 5, 2024, 5:09 pm

Used once (after effin Thai Smile cancelled my flight to connect international) and never again.
Only traded USD, the aircraft was newly painted but VERY old, passed it's use by date. The worst was after we landed at Swampy it took 55 minutes to get from it to the terminal. Parked miles away and no busses to meet us. Our bags taken off the carosel and stacked in a corner. Great start to my holiday in Aus.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » January 5, 2024, 9:50 pm

AlexO wrote:
January 5, 2024, 2:58 pm
Given that you could taxi for about 10 minutes, transfer to terminal, wait on baggage, get to your taxi and drive 25 minutes. Good luck.
I have used them a couple of times, no complaints about delays but never had hold baggage.
I'll report back how it actually happens. I guess I am used to cutting it close after ~300 odd flights to/from DMK on Nok since 2010 with great timing results. I suppose that's why I chimed in to ask too.
I'm committed now so let's see. I will let the readers know how it turns out if they are interested.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » January 6, 2024, 2:28 am

Whistler wrote:
January 5, 2024, 9:27 am
Used them several times, never a problem, I was a tad over carry on limit last trip, they just ignored the extra .6Kg without comment
That was good! Departing BKK- UTH, Thai Smile. Made me take out just 2 Kilo overweight.I will never use them again! Even if have to leave from DMK!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 6, 2024, 8:08 am

I only used them once, pre-Covid and had no issues despite their having a subsequent poor on-time record. This improvement seen in Q2 of 2023 may be ongoing.
Screenshot_20240106-080136~2.png
I use flightradar24 to check for on-time performance of SPECIFIC flights, like TG's poor performance on their last BKK-UTH flight of the day. Interested to see if Thai make a better job than Thai Smile did on that sector.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » January 6, 2024, 2:13 pm

Galee wrote:
January 5, 2024, 8:38 am
What are peoples experiences using Thai Vietair from Udon Thani reguarding reliability and luggage?
So I could not manage my booking online to attempt to get a seat assignment. The system said I had no booking. The system also coughed up a furball when I tried to login to my "FUN Rewards" Loyalty program. I re-registered using the same email and password as the one from years ago and I could now log in but still it did not see my booking.

I live near the UTH airport so I popped in there and spoke to the ticket office agent. He explained the web site was not completely working online but he could see my booking on his system. Great. I had him make a seat assignment for me while I was there which is what I wanted to do anyway. Advanced cheap seat, 6th row and behind (not including exit rows) was ฿153.09 otherwise it's a matter of taking one's chances 24 hours in advance of the flight. Since the system glitches left me with less confidence in VietJet's website backend, I paid the man. Bought a lovely bacon/egg bagel at the cafe and was away before the parking cost anything.

NOTE: The agent did advise to ensure the bag I will check is less than 15kg or buy additional kgs at least the day before flying as it is more expensive to add at the time of check-in if I am over. Good advice. I have lots of heavy documents for this 10 day BKK trip so I will actually weigh bags in advance this trip.
Last edited by Potamoi on January 21, 2024, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » January 9, 2024, 1:16 am

Potamoi wrote:
January 6, 2024, 2:13 pm
Galee wrote:
So I could not manage my booking online to attempt to get a seat assignment. The system said I had no booking. The system also coughed up a furball when I tried to login to my "FUN Rewards" Loyalty program. I re-registered using the same email and password as the one from years ago and I could now log in but still it did not see my booking.

I live near the UTH airport so I popped in there and spoke to the ticket office agent. He explained the web site was not completely working online but he could see my booking on his system. Great. I had him make a seat assignment for me while I was there which is what I wanted to do anyway. Advanced cheap seat, 6th row and behind (not including exit rows) was ฿153.09 otherwise it's a matter of taking one's chances 24 hours in advance of the flight. Since the system glitches left me with less confidence in VietJet's website backend, I paid the man. Bought a lovely bacon/egg bagel at the cafe and was away before the parking cost anything.

NOTE: The agent did advise to ensure the bag I will check is less than 15kg or buy additional kgs at least the day before flying as it is more expensive to add at the time of check-in if I am over. Good advice. I have lots of heavy documents for this 10 day BKK trip so I will actually weigh bags in advance this trip.
EDIT: Apparently there are agent websites selling Vietjet tickets that look like the actual airlines site.
https://www.thaivietair.com/ is not from the airline.

https://th.vietjetair.com/ is the actual site but one must use the phone app to do anything as web based site is not fully functional.

Also Fun Rewards is not their loyalty program.
SkyJoy looks to be the correct one but careful with the order of middle and first names. Once I put it First Name then Middle Name (as it SHOULD be, not how they ask for it) it worked on my phone and I could see the booking on my phone.
Last edited by Potamoi on January 21, 2024, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 9, 2024, 7:43 am

Thanks for the info Potamoi. That agents website is the one I've been looking at.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » January 20, 2024, 1:55 pm

Potamoi wrote:
January 9, 2024, 1:16 am
Potamoi wrote:
January 6, 2024, 2:13 pm
Galee wrote:

EDIT: Apparently there are agent websites selling Vietjet tickets that look like the actual airlines site.
https://www.thaivietair.com/ is not from the airline.

https://th.vietjetair.com/ is the actual site but one must use the phone app to do anything as web based site is not fully functional.

Also Fun Rewards is not their loyalty program.
SkyJoy looks to be the correct one but careful with the order of middle and first names. Once I put it First Name then Middle Name (as it SHOULD be, not how they ask for it) it worked on my phone and I could see the booking on my phone.
UPDATE:
Okay here is what I observed:
1. Check-in far left side terminal 1 at UTH. Checked in without e-ticket or proof of baggage paid so their system backend seems to work even if their website does not.
2. Checked bag weighed carefully
3. Carry on bag weighed carefully at this stage too
4. Used my driver's license to check in and board (there were rumors that foreigners need to show passports and paper copies of tickets but it is still the same as before in Udon anyway)
5. Boarding pass came with group number since I wanted the front of the bus I chose row 6 which is group A
6. Plane strictly boarded by group starting with C thus loading the rear of the plane first. Staff have been trained to board the plane as swiftly as possible and keep people moving along.
7. Elderly, wheelchairs and family with small kids can board early too
8. If online check-in, they will weigh the bag at the gate even if it looks light
9. The woman ahead of me used her phone to check-in which delays things quite a lot, better to print the boarding pass if online to keep the boarding flowing.
10. If you board in group A, I would try to get in the queue as soon as they spin the sign because the overhead bins get full quickly so if you don't want your carry on under your feet, board ASAP.
10. Basically, they follow their rules quite strictly so knowing there is not a lot of wiggle room for weight and boarding order may help someone keep from being disappointed. Check your bags on the old bathroom scale. I only weighed my checked bag. I was very surprised my shoulder laptop bag was 6.9kgs
11. Plane took off 20 min later than scheduled (blamed on BKK air traffic)
AlexO wrote:
January 5, 2024, 2:58 pm
12. Landed at 11:30, bus gate, bag came at 12:00 I booked a limo while waiting for the bag since I thought time was tight and Grabs can take time at airports. No delay with Limo straight to car at Door 5. Arrived at my destination at 12:20 for a 13:00 appointment. Perfect even with 20 min delay.
13. All in all I thought the experience was fine. I still prefer Nok for their flexibility and DMK over BKK but if BKK is better for your needs, Thai VietJet was fine. I will consider them again for future flights.
Last edited by Potamoi on January 21, 2024, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin Franklin

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 21, 2024, 9:23 am

Thanks for the update.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 21, 2024, 11:58 am

Glad it worked out for you.

Fear Rua
udonmap.com

Post by Fear Rua » February 17, 2024, 10:06 am

Galee wrote:
I used them from BKK to UTH in January. It was a bit expensive but otherwise perfect. My bag arrived when I did.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 22, 2024, 1:51 pm

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » February 22, 2024, 2:29 pm

Galee wrote:
February 22, 2024, 1:51 pm
Hmm.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vietjetair.com
Looks pretty sketch. I suppose it may depend on if you are flying abroad or just within Thailand for the potential for inconvienence.

Given my recent experience and one flight back in like 2018 to Saigon, I would try them again but I may not necessarily fly them to AUS.
Benjamin Franklin

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » February 22, 2024, 6:54 pm

Galee wrote:
February 22, 2024, 1:51 pm
Hmm.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vietjetair.com
They get 1,5 points on Trustpilot!

Better to fly Thai Airwys who get 1,7 points.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 23, 2024, 2:28 am

Trustpilot and Tripadvisor, the redoubt of inexperienced and incompetent travelers.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 23, 2024, 4:30 am

I like the shorts though - on the females anyway. :lol:

Return to “Travel & Transport”