HEAT STROKE

General Udon Thani topics only!
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: HEAT STROKE

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 29, 2024, 6:58 am

deankham wrote:
April 27, 2024, 8:37 pm
Back to Udon this afternoon after most of the week sat on Wong Amat beach in Patters.

Feels a lot bloody hotter in Udon than this time last week.

Having spent the last 4 months in the North East of England in the bloody cold, rainy and dark days I can tell you I prefer to be bloody hot than freezing b'stard cold!

Unfortunately have to go back to work with the miserable Yorkshire b'stards next week. Not seen anyone smile there since xmas!
We went to the same beach, Wong Amat, in Pattaya last week too. The dog loved the water and tried to challenge the waves with little success. On Thursday, we enjoyed a strong breeze at Jomtien Beach for five hours. We returned to Khon Kaen Friday night to blazing hot temperatures.

I find the intense heat draining and much prefer colder temperatures.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 29, 2024, 7:16 am

Ill assume the braless socks and sandals brigade are crowding out the coffee shops in the mall.
Free AC.

It was obvious the locals didn't give a care about their general health and went hard over Songkran, we have had at 2 or 3 a dayheat affected directly after Songkran with the ambulance called out each day for non work related health issues.
Unfortunately, 1 death to an elderly gent as a result. Considering we have over 21,000 on site the project heat stress management plan is working. Some older folk don't get it about dropping the alcohol intake may help.
The coloured warning flag system is in place to show workers and supervisors the heat index rating at any specific time and when to slow up activities. Not that some Thais need additional encouragement to slow up or stop. 40 minutes work and 20 minutes rest in a designated shaded area is the norm.
Its tough out in the sun so stay indoors.

Semperfiguy wrote:

I think most of us are somewhat familiar with Heat Stroke and wouldn't put ourselves in situations that would lead to that, but we must also be aware of Heat Exhaustion. I walked a few laps around our village the other night as the sun was setting, and it was enough to cause Heat Exhaustion.

You contradicted your own thinking and didn't do what you preach , bit silly, glad you survived.

For all the people born in GB here's the last heatstroke information available when you long ago ruled the waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9oVXdEcYEo

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 29, 2024, 8:10 am

Barney wrote:
April 29, 2024, 7:16 am
Ill assume the braless socks and sandals brigade are crowding out the coffee shops in the mall.
Free AC.

It was obvious the locals didn't give a care about their general health and went hard over Songkran, we have had at 2 or 3 a dayheat affected directly after Songkran with the ambulance called out each day for non work related health issues.
Unfortunately, 1 death to an elderly gent as a result. Considering we have over 21,000 on site the project heat stress management plan is working. Some older folk don't get it about dropping the alcohol intake may help.
The coloured warning flag system is in place to show workers and supervisors the heat index rating at any specific time and when to slow up activities. Not that some Thais need additional encouragement to slow up or stop. 40 minutes work and 20 minutes rest in a designated shaded area is the norm.
Its tough out in the sun so stay indoors.

Semperfiguy wrote:

I think most of us are somewhat familiar with Heat Stroke and wouldn't put ourselves in situations that would lead to that, but we must also be aware of Heat Exhaustion. I walked a few laps around our village the other night as the sun was setting, and it was enough to cause Heat Exhaustion.

You contradicted your own thinking and didn't do what you preach , bit silly, glad you survived.

For all the people born in GB here's the last heatstroke information available when you long ago ruled the waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9oVXdEcYEo
21,000 on site? Must be a pretty impressive home you're building for your retirement.

The "alcohol intake" isn't the only issue. Last year, offshore Sabah, we had four of the ship's crew doing chipping on the topside hangar deck. Exposed to the sun and hot wind on a super-heated steel deck, we jury-rigged shade and instituted a 50/50 time share with 30 minutes work and 30 minutes rehydration in the air conditioned changing room. After three hours, I was alerted to one of the chippers reporting to the Medic with heat stroke symptoms. That was addressed appropriately but investigation revealed that instead of taking a water break, he would skive off to have smoko wiith his other buddies at a hot as Hades mooring station.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 29, 2024, 3:58 pm

Care should also be taken towards your animals. I know some will get into air conditioning but for those that don't shade and plenty of water should be made available

https://www.preventivevet.com/pets/how- ... s-and-cats

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 13, 2024, 6:46 am

61 Dead from Heat Stroke in Thailand: Warning Signs and First Aid Advice

https://aseannow.com/topic/1327111-61-d ... id-advice/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 13, 2024, 7:07 am

Doodoo wrote:
April 29, 2024, 3:58 pm
Care should also be taken towards your animals. I know some will get into air conditioning but for those that don't shade and plenty of water should be made available

Sound advice. We go on shorter walks in the morning, and I bring along water for the obese canine to drink. Yet he and his girlfriend still race around in the hot weather together,
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

doc knows best

Post by doc knows best » May 15, 2024, 10:14 am

Heat stroke. An important topic.

If you are doing a 5/6 hour stretch, grafting at the farm, remember to drink lots of water. I also take limes with me to suck on.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 15, 2024, 10:20 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 13, 2024, 7:07 am
Doodoo wrote:
April 29, 2024, 3:58 pm

Sound advice. We go on shorter walks in the morning, and I bring along water for the obese canine to drink. Yet he and his girlfriend still race around in the hot weather together,
Your dog and his girlfriend's behavior reminds me of a couple I once saw down Sampan.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 15, 2024, 10:26 pm

doc knows best wrote:
May 15, 2024, 10:14 am
Heat stroke. An important topic.

If you are doing a 5/6 hour stretch, grafting at the farm, remember to drink lots of water. I also take limes with me to suck on.
I was doing some repairs and pressure washing late afternoon a few days back and despite some shade, with the heat radiating up from the concrete and all the bending and lifting, I was quite knackered when I finished. I necked a bottle of Pocari Sweat as well as water and went for a lie down but it still took a few hours to shake off feeling totally crap. I didn't keep myself hydrated during the task. Slapped myself.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”