Vehicle inspection - color match

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Vehicle inspection - color match

Post by tamada » February 2, 2024, 5:55 pm

The sports lorry falls due for annual inspection next month. I replaced both front wings/fenders before Christmas but I never got around to painting them yet. So they are still dark factory primer while the beasts body is white. I quite like the "Gaza taxi" look.

Anyway, I've read stories how some Transport Offices get bent out if shape if a Carryboy cover doesn't match the body. Are the inspection shops likely to see my piebald pony as problematical?

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Vehicle inspection - color match

Post by Whistler » February 2, 2024, 10:06 pm

Yep, I had my all black SUV resprayed with some silver trim, got knocked back in seconds for tax renewal at local inspection shop hi no. I took it to HWY 2 HQ, had to fill in typical form, stamped many times. Took about 2 hours, cheaper to get guards sprayed in original colour methinks
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2024, 10:51 pm

Whistler wrote:
February 2, 2024, 10:06 pm
Yep, I had my all black SUV resprayed with some silver trim, got knocked back in seconds for tax renewal at local inspection shop hi no. I took it to HWY 2 HQ, had to fill in typical form, stamped many times. Took about 2 hours, cheaper to get guards sprayed in original colour methinks
Cheers mate, I thought as much. I already sealed and sprayed the insides but fitted them to get the correct locations for the snorkel mountings and the new fittings needed for the new front bumper. Then it rained, and school runs, and sessions at CCW, and a UK trip, and Christmas, and school hols and now Bali so I plumb ran out of time. Procrastination? Never! Once I have the snorkel holes done, I'll whip them off and nip over to the forum's recommended paint shop and get 'er done.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 23, 2024, 3:28 pm

Took the sports lorry to the same test station I used the past couple of years. Some hasty phone calls made and I was handed a phone to talk to the owner, an English-speaking lady who advised me that the law says I can't have a piebald pickup. However, her brother would waive it this year but I would definitely need to get the wings painted white before next year's inspection. I explained I was intended getting them resprayed but ran out of time and she was very happy with that.

In at 14:12, out at 14:32.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » April 25, 2024, 3:11 pm

Technically you are driving illegally but more important your insurance would be void
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 26, 2024, 12:53 am

joepai wrote:
April 25, 2024, 3:11 pm
Technically you are driving illegally but more important your insurance would be void
correct .. via experience
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 26, 2024, 9:12 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 26, 2024, 12:53 am
joepai wrote:
Enlighten us.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 26, 2024, 11:02 pm

tamada wrote:
April 26, 2024, 9:12 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
joepai wrote:
Enlighten us.

Ta
tam
your car has to match colour in green book, if it does not, insurance is cancelled
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 26, 2024, 11:33 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 26, 2024, 11:02 pm
tamada wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:
joepai wrote:
Enlighten us.

Ta
tam
your car has to match colour in green book, if it does not, insurance is cancelled
I get that. I knew it was against the law before the owner of the test station told me but they didn't need any pressure from me to ignore it. She said they would waive it this time but make sure it's done before the next inspection.

This is the mandatory insurance we're talking about, so what's the mechanism or trigger for the insurance cancellation? After an accident? Police spot check? The insurance would be voided by the insurance company if they learned of the color violation. How else would they know? Do the police pull over and ticket piebald pickups because technically their compulsory insurance is voided? There's plenty of cars and pickups with either wrap jobs or black tailgates going around.

Not trying to be clever but the fenders will be resprayed next week or the week after. Should I keep off the roads until it's done?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 27, 2024, 9:42 am

Whistler wrote:
April 26, 2024, 11:02 pm
tamada wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:
joepai wrote:
Enlighten us.

Ta
tam
Thats correct Whizzy.

Any modifications to a vehicle must be registered at the local DLTO that goes for boosting its carry capacity by adapting suspension ,colour changes including wrapping also if a truck is heavily decked out with company advertising ad stickers this also must be registered.

Just for you Jammy ..
One of the pick up delivery trucks in Bkk had a carryboy back box fitted this was registered at the DLT office however the truck was white the caryyboy grey and following a subsequent minor accident informed insurance was void as only the box was added to the vehicle docs nothing about colour... sprayed the box white and all was good.

** i think the point it was learnt the insurance was void was at the time the agent arrived at the accident scene to take photos etc which obviously then go to the company who then informed they would not be covering.

** I do see police tax disc check points pulling over these low rider pickup trucks with the odd black panels (fashion gig i think) my insurance agent did say there is a % area of the truck body that can be different colour or ad stickers if i recall correctly was something like 5% which seems daft.

Hope that helps.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 27, 2024, 11:14 am

^ Excellent clarimification there DM.

Chances are if caught in a traffic stop, a cop may go for this if everything else is in order (and he can be arsed). TBH, with this heat, I haven't seen any daytime cop stops in the "usual places" so fingers-crossed until it gets painted.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 10, 2024, 8:52 am

Bit more info on this subject ..

Last Tuesday was stopped by a BIB check point in Phon .. checking tax disc on windscreen which im ok on being April 2025 yet still pulled me over asking to see vehicle reg docs which i also had ..at that point the officer developed a twitch and then a grin as he spotted the back box fitted to the truck and then asked to see its reg docs ..his grin turned to scowl as i promptly produced said DLT reg of modification and he waved me off like he was shooing a soi dog away that had pissed on his leg.

As info by law you must be able to produce the log book or a photo copy of the log book roadside if requested ..failure to do so is 500bt fine but no points on your driving license... this leads me to say from experience if stopped for speeding always ask for a receipt as the BIB write failure to produce docs instead of the speeding offense therefore no points and the money goes to a different place possibly to buy tea n biscuits... if get collared for speeding and your beautiful youg lady cant sweet talk the officer always ask for a no docs no points ticket n pay 500 rather than 400 and points for speeding...they seem to appreciate this route.

When renewed the tax disc last month there was an outstanding 400 bt speeding fine from June 2023 which had to be paid before a new disc would be issued so it seems there is some sort of joining of Gov departments SOMETIMES....
however I was advised by my insurance agent not to pay any speeding fines that come via camera / the post office and just pay at tax renewal time as they are very rarely followed up to the DLT by the BIB.

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”