this dude was near the back door..
[attachment=0]rsz_1rsz_scorpion3a.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_scorpion3a.jpg

nabanga
udonmap.com

Re: scorpions and snakes

Post by nabanga » September 16, 2016, 2:02 pm

A couple of years ago my 2 year old boy got stung by a scorpion whilst we were staying in a village in Savannakhet province, Laos - he was screaming blue murder. All the local old women came round to see what the noise was about and said we had to go and see the local healer.
We all went to the other end of the village where a youngish guy about 30 came out, chanted something, blew on my boys leg about 3-4 times, and asked for 10,000kip (40 baht).
It didn't stop my boy from screaming but it got rid of all the old biddies.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 20, 2016, 1:00 pm

We don't kill any snakes, not even cobras. Cobras are very shy and get out of you way as soon as they sense you coming. We also leave the big black scorpions alone. We do kill centipedes and the small yellow brown scorpions.

My Thai wife is a tough old farm girl. She got stung by one of those small scorpions a couple weeks ago. Some time back she was playing with one of the big black ones. She says they don't hurt any more than a bee sting. The small yellow brown ones REALLY hurt but centipedes are the worst. Fortunately took gaes are fond of eating centipedes. Millipedes are ugly but harmless. Apparently millipedes can excrete some kind of toxin so nothing will eat them.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 20, 2016, 1:50 pm

glalt wrote:......the big black ones. She says they don't hurt any more than a bee sting. The small yellow brown ones REALLY hurt
I may have gathered some info then. Whilst we never found the culprit on some wood I was carrying as very small, it's likely to have been a scorpion that got me. Pain enough!, which caused me to drop the wood immediately spread up my arm, lessened but still a numbness which hung about a few days

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » September 20, 2016, 1:58 pm

I was stung on the inner arch of my foot walking around in the dark inside the house and had the pain for a couple of days

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”