scorpions and snakes

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by maaka » May 5, 2016, 6:11 pm

after that wind and rain, had one scorpion on the floor next to the bed, almost gave it a kick to see what it was, and next day another on the kitchen floor. then a black snake as thick as your arm, with a yellow colored collar, slide on thru...the sister next door got bit by a scorpion at her house the following day, and also found a huge mother in the clothes basket...seems they crawl up the walls at night and into the roof..her having no ceiling they just crawled on down..they came in our open windows and thur the open block work into the garage and then under the kitchen door...to think I went for a wazz twice that night right past the bugger.....thats life in the boon docks

fatbob
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by fatbob » May 5, 2016, 6:23 pm

Had a few similar experiences also, this morning in the shed tinkering away and saw a small brown scorpion about an inch from my toe, couple of days earlier had a decent size individual cobra come through the yard, about 2 1/2 metres long, the seven month old labrador thought it was something to play with, impossible to see once it was in the leaves.

Stevo
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Stevo » May 5, 2016, 6:24 pm

maaka wrote:...the sister next door got bit by a scorpion
Getting bitten won't do any harm maaka, it's the sting that hurts, lol ;)
Luckily the black ones here aren't lethal like the red coloured ones you find in the middle east... but it will be painful.
gotta keep your eyes open in the boonies, that's for sure.

maaka
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by maaka » May 5, 2016, 6:54 pm

rodger that my man, stung not bitten...
hows da bikes going

Stevo
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Stevo » May 5, 2016, 8:17 pm

Bikes all good my friend... 5 in the front garden, 2 in the kitchen out back :lol:

hairyharry
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes and centipedes

Post by hairyharry » May 5, 2016, 9:48 pm

The giant black centipede and the much smaller bright orange centipede have extremely painful bites that are likely to put you in bed for 2 or 3 days. According to the internet there is no effective painkiller available for those two.

Get your better half to show you the plants that work well for other centipede bites.

papafarang
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by papafarang » May 5, 2016, 10:07 pm

i'm safe, they give me the creeps, and that motivates me to run faster than them :lol: . strangely enough snakes I have no fear of,even when they stand up and hiss at me while the wife is screaming .

if you can keep a cool head while everybody around is losing theirs..... perhaps you not assessing the situation fully :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by mathusalah80 » May 6, 2016, 3:00 am

[quote="papafarang"]I'm safe, they give me the creeps, and that motivates me to run faster than them :lol: . strangely enough snakes I have no fear of, even when they stand up and hiss at me while the wife is screaming .

if you can keep a cool head while everybody around is losing theirs,.... and blaming it on you[/b =D> =D> ].....
Like snakes & scorpions, sometime culture rears it head in the most unexpected of places. :D :lol:

maaka
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by maaka » May 6, 2016, 7:35 am

yes the missus is dead scared of them centipedes more than anything..and old papa has afew natural remedies for these insect bites so we rush to his house..

Barney
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Barney » May 6, 2016, 9:07 am

With the Thai desire, especially with the older variety, to want to sleep on the floor or very close to it, I wonder why there are not more bites.
Yes centipedes seem to be the one's they are afraid of more.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Brian Davis » May 6, 2016, 12:06 pm

No desire to come across either, especially around the house, but the dogs often give a warning. Perhaps just me, but I find the scorpions ugly in their look and movement.
But besides the fairly common black millipede, perhaps 12 cms long, 1 cm wide, the bigger brute (would be centipede, I think) is perhaps 20 cms long and 2 to 2.5 cms wide. I've not researched, but I'd expect a bite from that to be serious. It's a tough cookie too - fights away even with several wallops. Not certain I've got the absolute correct images here, but you'll get the idea.

millipede.jpg
millipede.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
centipede.jpg
centipede.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 1912 times

udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by 12345 » May 6, 2016, 1:52 pm

Barney wrote:With the Thai desire, especially with the older variety, to want to sleep on the floor or very close to it, I wonder why there are not more bites.
Yes centipedes seem to be the one's they are afraid of more.
If referring to snakes, in a bad year, about 9000 a year, bites, and about 1 % die, less than 100.....reported. Old stats ... 2008.

Simply not sexy or news-worthy enough. On a bad year, you'd read about 8 a month, would get boring after awhile, about the same as reading about violence on foreigners. :lol:

Varying stats, but average:

Thailand

2015 Population: 67,400,000
Snakebites per year: 7,000 – 9,100
Deaths per year: 5 – 100

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/how-many ... snakebite/

Thailand scenario:
– most common with about 7,000 cases and 30 most common with about 7,000 cases and 30
deaths annually deaths annually

– peak incidence during April peak incidence during April-November

http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/jitmm2008/d ... -bites.pdf
Asia, Southeast / Thailand 9101 / 94.0 (high) Bites treated / die from reported 2008

In Thailand, the monocled cobra is responsible for the majority of snakebite fatalities.[27] Tea plantations :shock: are sometimes associated with elapids such as the common cobras and an individual cobra.

Barney
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Barney » May 6, 2016, 3:36 pm

Yeah was just commenting on Maaka's scorpion story but the same would apply to snakes. Have had a few of the scorpions , centipedes and snakes in the house so for snakes the missus insists on the door always shut.
But when the mum in law visits she sleep on the floor ( have a perfectly good bed by the way ) and I always worry something will get on or in her bed covers. She don't give a rats.
I was in Bangladesh for a while and we had quite a few individual Cobras around the containers and office. Mate when you see one of them and their size when fully grown you back away real quick.
Most would have seen the big individual Cobra with the travelling snake show van here in UT or KK.

udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by 12345 » May 6, 2016, 4:01 pm

Big ones, I don't mind, I can see them, cut the corners wide, and don't surprise or back any up in a corner, and should be trouble free. Don't want to surprise any, or be surprised. The little ones I don't like, can't see the little suckers. Had a couple close calls, and luckily, the saw me first. Hate 'em, and a phobia of mine.

I even walk around the yard, before letting the dog out, hopefully spook 'em away or up a tree / bush before she makes her rounds sniffin' lizard holes.

neeemu
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by neeemu » May 7, 2016, 4:13 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
centipede.jpg
Apparently the sting off one of these can be worse than a scorpion. Any sign of any lovely local creepy crawlies will result in me keeping my limps within my hammock until one of the family removes it, generally for their own consumption!

The bees in Thailand also scare the life out of me on account they resemble cats with wings and a proportionate stinger that can apparently knock an adult out for a short while.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by Khun Paul » May 8, 2016, 6:47 am

Dogs are good at deterring snakes apart from the most ardent and nasty kind, not deterring Birds and the larger creepy crawlies ( the ones that eat the others ) means that generally I do not have problems. True one can still get snakes and other nasties, but the bird population takes care of most flying bugs, fish take care of the mossie eggs and Tuktares take care of most other things and the dogs scare the hell out the rest including rats (* they eat them ) .
Thais hate anything that crawls in the house therefore they get bitten to death in their houses, I do not encourage nor do I deter the geckos and tuktares,they eat most things that come into the house including scorpions.

ricks
udonmap.com

scorpions and snakes

Post by ricks » May 8, 2016, 8:59 am

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: scorpions and snakes

Post by parrot » September 5, 2016, 3:57 pm

We lived in the city for 2 years.....saw a fair number of snakes while there, including a very large python in a friend's yard just inside the ring road.
When we moved 18km outside the city, the common first question from most visitors was, "aren't you afraid of snakes?".....(the second ? was, "aren't you afraid of ghosts?").
The article below is a story about a snake caught up in someone's engine compartment....in a house opposite the vicinity of Wing 23.
Snakes, mosquitoes, ghosts.......no matter where you live in Thailand, you'll have your share. Don't be fooled!
https://www.thairath.co.th/content/712835

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 5, 2016, 4:37 pm

our three dogs team up to rid the yard of any animal intruders that are on the ground.. Snakes, check.. They'll surround and attack it with the terrier dog killing them.. Rats, check, death and we'll find it laying in the yard.. Mice, check, death and they'll be lying about the yard.. Now, the dogs haven't quite figured out the land crabs that wander about.. They'll surround them and bark continuously getting their noses nipped... Worst of all is the turtles.. At night, not in the day for some reason they'll come up out of our ponds and attempt to go across the yard.. The dogs like to "chase" them barking endlessly.. Since those turtles are not particularly fast it usually ends up with the wife or me going out with a flashlight and tossing the turtle back in the pond.
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 5, 2016, 4:47 pm

Only minutes ago, my wife showed me photos on her 'phone of snakes recently popping out of toilets. 8-[

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”